Terms And Conditions
Purpose of Terms and Conditions
The purpose of this page which details our companies Terms and Conditions is to protect both our selves (Northern Geological Supplies Ltd) and your self, the customer by implementing UK law and legislation as well as offering the best solution we think viable. As such, we have attempted to make this page detailing our Terms and Conditions as easy to read as possible, elimnating 'jargon' text and 'long winded' paragraphs. We hope this will make the details below less confusing, however, if you do still wish to have clarification on any of the Terms and Conditions below, you are more than welcome to contact us via phone or email and talk about it. Please click HERE to go to our 'contact us' page.
Making A Purchase
Making a purchase could not be easier. Just browse our web site, and click on any items that you wish to buy and put them into the shopping cart. After you have finished your selection, click on "My Cart" located on the top right corner of the page and you will be asked to "Proceed to checkout." Select this option and we will require a few details that we need to be able to satisfy your order such as name, address, etc.
Once you submit your order, we receive an electronic order in the admin section of our website. The time it takes processing orders depends on the amount of items ordered, size and fragility of items, time the order was placed, how many orders were place during that day and whether the items are currently in stock. Assuming all items are in stock and placed during the day or evening previous, orders begin being processed that same day. Small orders (hand lenses or a few samples) take just a few minutes to complete, larger amounts of items take longer as does orders for fragile items, which take longer due to ensuring the item(s) are packaged well so that the product doesn't break or get damaged. In general, small orders placed before 12 pm will be processed that day and possibly shipped out that day. Orders placed after this time will be processed that day but may instead be shipped out the next working day. Orders placed after 5pm (which is when we close) will be processed the following day. Even if special delivery, Interlink, DPD or UPS delivery is selected, the time the order was placed may result in it being sent some time later. This is because of either the closing time of us (5 pm), the Post Office (5 pm) or the time which Interlink, DPD or UPS arrive to collect from us, usually everyday between 3 and 3:30 pm.
Quality of Goods
At Northern Geological Supplies Ltd, we strive to provide the highest quality goods we can offer as described in product descriptions and depicted in product images. For the majority of the tools and equipment, what you see in the image will be exactly what you receive (some colours may vary). However, although we will do our best, this cannot be said for natural specimens such as rocks, minerals or fossils where the image and description are representative only. The exceptions to this are the special items such as the one off large display minerals and fossils where the description and image you see will be exactly what you receive. (Further details to follow below).
All prices stated on the website are displayed including and excluding the current rate of UK value added tax (VAT) which is currently 20%. Prices are to the best of our knowledge correct. However, prices are subject to change at any time without warning. This can be for a number of reasons, such as increased rates from suppliers & distributors etc. Please note, we will advise ahead of any price changes and seek your decision of whether or not you wish to continue to purchase the goods. You will be notified of the total cost of your order including VAT before you have to pay and of course, if you no longer want the item, we will refund your money back in full.
Tax & VAT
For orders made from the UK or the European Union, the standard rate of UK Value Added Tax (VAT) is applied which is currently 20%. This however, excludes printed goods, such as reading books and maps which you will not be charged VAT for, also some safety goods such as hard hats and steel toe cap boots are non-VAT chargeable. If you live outside of the UK or EU such as Norway, U.S.A, Canada, Austalia etc, NO VAT will be applied to your purchase. However, note, the VAT will still appear on your order, until you get to the 'delivery address' stage of the check out, once you change the country to one outside of the EU, the page will re-load and the VAT will be removed.
Tax & VAT on Postage/Shipping
For all orders placed within the UK or EU, the UK rate of VAT is also added to the postage cost. Although Royal Mail price are exclusive of VAT this is only if you deal with the Royal Mail direct. However, if dealt with through a 3 rd party (such as us as a business for example). Then we must legally apply the UK rate of VAT onto the postage cost. Shipping costs offered by other companies (such as Interlink and DPD) are also VAT chargable within the UK or EU. If items are being shipped outside of the UK or EU (U.S.A, Australia, Canada, China etc). Then no VAT will be applied to the cost of shipping. You will however, incur a customs/duty charge which is dealt from your own countries customs agency and one which you will have to arrange, pay and deal with.
We accept a variety of popular payment methods which include credit cards, debit cards, these are: Visa (debit and creidt card) Visa Electron, Switch, Maestro, Mastercard, Delta and PayPal.
Credit/Debit Card Security
Sage Pay, one of the UK’s most trusted business brands dealing with credit card security, handles all of our card transactions. All payment transactions are secure and fully encrypted to the highest global standards, ensuring your card details are always kept 100% safe and secure. Not even we can see them. For more information about ‘SagePay’ you may visit their website here: http://www.sagepay.co.uk/
Shipping on goods is applied depending on the overall total weight and dimensions of the package. We use a variety of shipping carriers which best suite the package being despatched.
Shipping within the UK is handle by either Royal Mail or DPD Local, as detailed below:
1) 0 - 2 kg: Small parcels which fall between this weight range are classed as small parcels and are dispatched in bubble wrap jiffy bags or small parcels. UK customers have the option of choosing either Royal Mail standard delivery (1st class) or Special Delivery (which is tracked and must be signed for). Both, under normal circumstances have a 1 day transit time and if the order is placed before 3 pm, will be delivered the next working day. (Circumstances which may affect this transit time include adverse weather conditions, Strike action by Royal Mail or public Holidays, etc). Should you choose Royal Mail Special Delivery, your email address will also be used by us to forward a copy of the tracking number for your convenience.
For Royal Mails terms and conditions, please click here: Royal Mail Terms & Conditions.
2) 2 - 30 kg: Orders which fall within this weight category are large/heavy and therefore will be dispatched via DPD Local Couriers. Under normal circumstances, all UK orders dispatched by this method providing that the order was placed before 2 pm on a working day will arrive the next working day. (Circumstances which may affect this transit time include adverse weather conditions, Strike action by Interlink staff or public Holidays, you being present at the time of delivery etc). Your email address provided will also be used to email you a copy of the Interlink tracking number and if you decide to provide your mobile phone number, Interlink will also provide you with an SMS text message giving you your tracking number as well as a 1 hour window of delivery.
For DPD Locals terms and conditions, please click here: DPD Terms and Conditions.
From time to time, we may also offer a free shipping service within the UK mainland (for reasons such as special sales, etc). This will be displayed at the checkout page for you to select as an option, along with standard shipping rates, of if you require the shipment to be tracked, a tracked and signed for service option will also be available.
Shipping within Europe is handled much the same way as within the UK, with the exception of slightly longer transit times, please see below for further details.
1) 0 - 2 kg: Small parcels which fall between this weight range are classed as small parcels and are dispatched in bubble wrap jiffy bags or small parcels. European customers have the option of choosing either Royal Mail standard delivery (1st class) or Special Delivery (which is tracked and must be signed for). Both, under normal circumstances have a 2 - 5 day transit time and if the order is placed before 3 pm, will be delivered within this time frame. (Circumstances which may affect this transit time include adverse weather conditions, Strike action by Royal Mail or your countries national postal service or public Holidays, etc). Should you choose Royal Mail Special Delivery, your email address will also be used by us to forward a copy of the tracking number for your convenience.
For Royal Mails terms and conditions, please click here: Royal Mail Terms & Conditions.
2) 2 - 30 kg: Orders which fall within this weight category are large/heavy and therefor will be dispatched via DPD Road Couriers. Under normal circumstances, all European orders dispatched by this method providing that the order was placed before 2 pm on a working day. Transit times between Europe vary, as a gneral rule, transit time varies from 2 - 6 days. (Circumstances which may affect this transit time include adverse weather conditions, Strike action by DPD staff or public Holidays, etc). Your email address provided will also be used to email you a copy of the Interlink tracking number and if you decide to provide your mobile phone number, Interlink will also provide you with an SMS text message giving you your tracking number as well as a 1 hour window of delivery.
For DPDs' terms and conditions, please click here: DPD Terms & Conditions
3) For expensive items which are of a value over £200.00 (British Pounds), we will ship order via UPS and include insurance. UPS deliveries, like any other courier serivce will require that you are present on the day of delivery to accept and sign for the parcel. UPS's terms and conditions can be seen by clicking here: UPS Terms and Conditions.
International Shipping (Outside of Europe/Rest of World)
1) 0 - 2 kg: Small parcels which fall between this weight range are classed as small parcels and are dispatched in bubble wrap jiffy bags or small parcels. International customers have only one option for Royal Mail, which is Special Delivery (which is tracked and must be signed for in most countries, and only tracked for some). The reason for this being the high potential for fraudulent customers outside of the UK to claim that they have not received their goods. Under normal circumstances, these parcels have a 5 - 7 day transit time if the order is placed before 2 pm. (Circumstances which may affect this transit time include adverse weather conditions, Strike action by Royal Mail or public Holidays, Customs regulations/inspections, DUTY and Tax payments, etc etc). Your email address will also be used by us to forward a copy of the tracking number for your convenience. Also, for internaitonal customers, it is wise to note that depending on the total amount of your order (value of goods), there may be a customs and VAT/tax charge which you must pay. This is payable by you as the customer, any negligence of you not paying such charges will result in the parcel being returned back to us.
For Royal Mails terms and conditions, please click here: Royal Mail Terms & Conditions.
2) 2 - 30 kg: Orders which fall within this weight category are large/heavy and therefor will be dispatched via UPS Air freight. Under normal circumstances, all International orders dispatched by this method providing that the order was placed before 12 pm on a working day. Transit times vary from 3 - 8 days. (Circumstances which may affect this transit time include adverse weather conditions, Strike action by UPS staff or public Holidays, customs procedures, etc). Your email address provided will also be used to email you a copy of the Interlink tracking number and if you decide to provide your mobile phone number, Interlink will also provide you with an SMS text message giving you your tracking number as well as a 1 hour window of delivery. It is wise to note that depending on the total amount of your order (value of goods), there may be a customs and VAT/tax charge which you must pay. This is payable by you as the customer, any negligence of you not paying such charges will result in the parcel being returned back to us.
For UPS' terms and conditions, please click here: UPS Terms & Conditions.
If the item you require is out of stock, you may contact us about our estimated dates of when we will next have the items in. If you order an item, which has not yet registered on the computer as 'out of stock', we will quickly get the stock in. Delays may occur. You may contact us at any time requesting the status of your order. You also reserve the right to cancel your order with us.
All personal details; such as names, address, etc are not shared with any other person(s) or companies except for items shipped via Interlink/DPD where your contact telephone number & email address is used to place on to the package and for you to recieve tracking details from Interlink/DPD via email. See above shipping section in regards to the shipping companies terms and conditions. Other details such as names/delivery addresses etc are only used to print out delivery address labels for orders placed and contact details are never used except for when we must get in touch with you, the customer. This can be for many reasons such as items you require are out of stock and we must notify you etc. You must also note, that we cannot be held responsible for goods which have not arrived due to the incorrect address details or incomplete address details being given when you place your order. We do not hand write on any of our parcels which we despatch. When you enter your address details, we print off your order form and use it as the shipping address label as well. Therefore any incorrect or incomplete details are soley down to you, the user making the error, we will ofcourse strive to assist you in obtaining the order correctly if a mistake has been made.
All items listed on our website are subject to the 'Distance Selling Act - 2000'. This gives you, the customer, 14 days in which you can cancel/return your order for a refund. The refund will be for the cost of goods only and not the shipping cost, as the shippnig is a service which we still will have paid for. Cost of returning the goods is also down to you, the customer, it can be any method but we suggest tracked postage to eliminate lost parcels and also obtain proof that we have received the goods back, as a refund will only be made if proof can be provided that the goods were subject to a return. Exceptions to this are if we have supplied an incorrect item, the item arrived broken or the item broke during initial use. In which case we will assist you in returning the goods either by sending you postage labels or have you return it and we refund you the price you had to pay out. Regarding return of goods outside of the 14 period, please see below regarding the different types of items which we supply.
Returns: Equipment, Tools, Polished Stones & Manufactured Goods
Any goods which fall under the ‘Equipment or manufactured goods category’ (for example: rock hammers, compasses, notepads, plastic boxes, card trays etc) Can be returned ONLY IF they have not been used and have complete packaging. If they appear damaged, scratched or are in a non- working conditions due to use by you or the end user, we are regretfully unable to accept them to be returned. We will however, accept returns if the items you have received are damaged during transit, we have supplied the wrong goods, or the item has become damaged during initial use. Please contact us to arrange for this. In some cases, we may even request a photo of the goods. Please note, this is so we can send the image to manufacturers to alert them of what is happening to their items, so they can take steps to rectify such mistakes in future manufacturing.
Returns: Natural Specimens (Rough & Uncut/Not Polished)
We will only accept returns on items which fall under the ‘Natural Specimens’ category (which include: rocks, minerals, fossil & gemstones) If the items have been damaged during transit or we have supplied the incorrect goods. We cannot accept returns for reasons such as ‘I do not like it’, ‘it has scratch marks’ or ‘part of it is crumbling’. Please understand that these are natural items, not manufactured and the difference between what appears to be the same item on our website can be a little different to what you may receive (e.g. different shape, shade of colour etc). Some items will include minor scratch marks, this is because all rocks/minerals are collected by ourselves or imported in bulk large boulders sometimes weighing in excess of over 60 kilos per boulder. These large boulders are broken down by our staff by using only hammers into the small neat sizes you see on our website, it is inevitable that some samples may show minor scratches. Some samples may also appear ‘crumbly’ if handled harshly; again, this is due to the formation of the actual rock or mineral of which we can do nothing about. All we ask is that you respect our staff and appreciate the hard work, which has gone into obtaining and producing these samples for you.
Cancellations (from our side)
We reserve the full right to cancel any order as we see fit. There are usually legitimate reasons for us cancelling an order such as the item no longer being in stock (bought in store and not taken off our website in time) or techinical errors on our website resulting in wrong charges being applied. At this point, we will cancel the order, offer a full refund (including all costs such as tax and postage). and notify you of the refund and reason why.
We endeavour to our best to provide a quality service to our customers on all aspects, however, if you feel we have not met such standards and wish to make a complaint, this can be done by contacting us via phone, letter or email (see our Contact Us page) and we will strive to assist you through your complaint and help with any problems you are facing.
If you have any questions at all about any of our products or services, we are more than happy to help you with whatever you need, whether you would just like some extra information about a product before you decide to purchase to assistance over the phone on the use of certain equipment or geological information on specimens. Please do feel free to contact us via phone, letter or email (see our Contact Us page) and we will be more than happy to assist.
We are always happy to receive any feedback or information from our customers, whether it is regarding our website or items listed or purchased, please feel free to contact us any time using the details on our ‘Contact Us’ page.
Northern Geological Supplies Limited does not disclose buyers’ information to third parties. Cookies are used on this shopping site to keep track of the contents of your shopping cart once you have selected an item(s) so if you happen to leave or your computer or it ‘crashes’ when you return to our site, your items will still be there. Our website will also track your movements strictly on our website and google analytics only as part of the website analytics for marketing and web design purposes only. This information is NOT passed on to any other company, person or 3rd party.
Leaving A Review
Northern Geological Supplies Limited (Geology Superstore) website incorporates a customer review system, this helps future customers find it easier shopping and weighing up pros and cons of various products by reading what others before have to say. Information in your review is viewable by all who visit our website (including your name) you can however, use an alias (false name) if you prefer (we do not condone use of profanity or insulting words as usernames). and we suggest you stick to speaking about the product and do not share any personal information within the review. Any personal details shared are so at your own risk.
Usage of Our Website and Its Contents
The term ‘Geology Superstore’ & ‘Northern Geological Supplies Limited’, “us” or “we” refers to the owner of the website whose registered office is 66 Gas Street, Bolton, Lancashire, BL1 4TG. The term “you” refers to the user or viewer of our website.
- The content of the pages of this website is for your general information and use only in regards to the products we offer. It is subject to change without notice.
- Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
- This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
- All trademarks reproduced in this website, which are not the property of, or licensed to the operator, are acknowledged on the website.
- Unauthorised use of this website may give to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
- From time to time this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
- You may not create a link to this website from another website or document without Northern Geological Supplies Limited prior written consent.
- Your use of this website and any dispute arising out of such use of the website is subject to the laws of EnglandandWales.
The 'British Geological Survey' (BGS) logo has been reproduced by permission of the Director, British Geological Survey (NERC)
Northern Geological Supplies Limited. Postal Address: 66 Gas Street, Bolton, Lancashire. BL1 4TG. Tel: 01204 388754. Fax: 01204 389863. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Company registration number: 04969405. VAT registration number: 572-3610-51